Sunday, August 28, 2016

Thanks


"I don't do it for money
There's bills that I can't pay.
I don't do it for the glory,
I just do it anyway."

American Soldier (Toby Keith)

I'm rethinking a promise I made a while back. I made it my mission to shake the hand and "thank" every service personnel in uniform that I meet. That is nearly every day here in Colorado Springs. We have four major bases of operations (to include the Air Force Academy).

When I address them as, "Sir or Mam" I get an immediate response, but differing responses. Some seem truly grateful to be recognized. Some appear to be on their way, I interrupted them. But some seem uncomfortable that I brought it up. All of them may have felt differently than I perceived or were mixed in their responses. My intent is to be genuine, as I know the price of Liberty is vigilence and the price of Freedom is blood.

I didn't serve (I did Law-Enforcement instead) so I am not able to fully grasp what it means to them. For that matter no one "Knows" the mind of another person. I do know sacrifice though, as I donated half of my liver to a man in our church. He had a congenital disease (from birth not from a bad lifestyle) that was progressively killing him and I was a perfect match. When we first met, the doctors were already expecting him to die at any time, even outliving some pronouncements.

Our Church was very supportive. They provided rides, watched over our kids, prayed, visited, and even donated money. It was a big deal and they stepped up in a major way. The recovery had some big bumps and they continued the support. I did eventually recover and am effectively free besides a major abdominal scar. I do have trouble though if we go back to visit. Work moved us to another part of the state so we started attending a different church. From time to time we have visited, but each visit only takes a few seconds before the subject of the surgery comes up. Mostly it is well-wishers asking how I'm doing and I can answer honestly pretty good.

I have other health issues now completely separate from the surgery. I'm coping but it limits me a lot. I would like to focus on the future rather than the past. Visiting that church is always hard because it puts my donation in the spotlight. I'm not comfortable there. If I need help in the immediate situation, OK. Rehearsing the surgery is hard. I saved Steve's life and gave him back to his family. Firemen run INTO burning buildings and may rescue people trapped by the flames. As a cop I ran into buildings after reports of, "shots fired". The only life I saved for sure was Steve. Even that was by the Hand of God. I didn't do much. I was willing and the anesthesiologist put me under. I awoke with the scar, sick as a dog, but I came out.

I pause to wonder if my putting those soldiers in the limelight is equally embarrassing. They may know inside that they are honorably serving. A little bit proud of the good it does but just don't want a lot of attention. I don't think I've shaken a hand twice, but it is possible. I have been blessed by the opportunity and have used it to make a point in my conversation (which includes preaching in church). I would like to think it has made me a better person with more compassion for others who are hurting.

            "I don't do it for money
            There's bills that I can't pay.
            I don't do it for the glory,
            I just do it anyway."

I try to remind myself that without the work of God in my life, there may have been, surely would have been, a different life for Steve and I. I don't know how and to what extent it has moved others but undoubtedly as Scripture says,
            "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love             him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 9:28)
I operate on the theory that doing good can still be tiring, boring, and even resentful at times when there seems to be no appreciation for how hard we try to do our work. For that I will continue to shake hands and thank those Uniformed Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, Navy and Guard that for any reason are willing to be a target but take up arms to keep "Old Glory" flying.

No comments: